Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Multigenerational Quilting

JudyL was pondering about multigenerational quilters and I thought, "I can share about that one!"



The above picture is my sister LuAnn, me, my sister Nancy, Mom, and my SIL Dee. This is Quilt Escape 1999. For several years we all went together to retreat, and it was such fun! Mom & Nancy's health challenges have made it such that it was more stress than fun for them, so for the last few years, it's been Lu, Dee, and I.




This quilt is a multi-generational project. It belongs to my mother. The state bird blocks were embroidered by my paternal grandmother, who died too young of complications from Lupus. There are only 48 blocks, as there were only 48 states in the union when she died. Mom set the blocks together, and her grandmother (my maternal great-grandmother) hand quilted the quilt. I'm afraid I'm too low on the food chain to receive this one when Mom divides her treasures, but I like the story!


As to my own efforts... I took the Flying in Circles quilt with me camping this weekend. I had used the miracle chalk pounce powder to mark motifs in the centers of the rings. I guess that 98 degree weather, and 90 plus percent humidity is close enough to steam for this product! The markings got lighter and lighter as the day warmed up. I did get 4 motifs quilted before the markings completely disappeared, so not a total waste. And it's not difficult to re-mark with the pounce. But it's a good excuse to stay in the air conditioning!

1 comments:

Rose Marie said...

What a treasure to own such a quilt. My SIL and I are the only ones that quilt in our family and none of my ancestors that I knew ever quilted. What history you have to draw upon!

Thank you for visiting!